Monday, January 16, 2012

No Smoke

Today is the anniversary date that I quit smoking. It also is the day that little did we know would change so many life's in so many ways, each and every day -- yes it is that big of a day.

I had been a smoker since my Junior year in high school. Holding that cigarette made me look so cute and "older"  I continued to smoke through both of my girls pregnancies, thankfully under the advice of my OB I switched to Ultra lights during the precious time my babies were developing. It was 1987 & 1990 after all - who would have thought to give me the advise me to quit -  not that I would have listened. I enjoyed smoking. I loved lighting it up and the the wonderful smell of that first whiff of the toxins filling not only my lungs, but little did society know at the time, it was actually harming those around me as well. Fast forward to Fall 2002. The vanity that drew me into the habit showed up again to save me from it. While walking into my daughters basketball game I noticed a middle age women walk into the gym. I noticed she was a pretty lady - then as she walked passed the hammer hit me on top of the head. To quote Oprah -it was my ah ha moment As she got closer I noticed her pulling an oxygen tank behind her. WHOO the first signs that this smoking gig may not be making me cute - but it was indeed successful at making me older. Because I just saw first hand my future - pulling an oxygen tank to my babies or grand babies basketball games. NOT cute! So it wasn't the fear of health problems or even death that now was being advertised by the Surgeon General  on TV it was vanity showing me it is not cute to pull an oxygen tank behind me, sure I could decorate it and coordinate it with my outfits but still not cute. I had tried to quit many times over those years, to save money, or at the begging of my family, but that was the bottom line for me. I met my future that day and it was not cute. So I set a plan in place. Martin Luther King is a 3 day weekend for me and that was my day. It has not been easy by any means, but fast forward 9 years and here we are. NO SMOKE :)  That weekend opened up the world of running to me, and everyone that I encounter. Remember that little lady vanity? Well out of fear I would gain weight I bought a treadmill and soon discovered that the difference between walking and running is a "hop" and that my friends as they say is history.


Since that MLK weekend in 2003 I have taken my family and friends on a running adventure that at times seems obsessive. 


To celebrate today - I am running a mile for every year, and to thank 'lady vanity" a hair appointment to cover those gray hairs on tap this afternoon.




 
 
RUN STRONG !!






No comments: