In our lives there are many life lessons that we learn. Some of these lessons are coming of age or rite of passage lessons. These lessons are the ones that are not taught in a class room, or from reading a book. These lessons only come from the experiences that we have in our lives. Some lessons take us to live through them more than once before we learn the actual lesson, I refer to them as our coming to age lessons, no matter how many times we live through them we don’t fully reap the benefits of the lesson till we mature into the lesson.
This week while on a much needed vacation with our family. I had the opportunity to learn one of my coming of age lessons.
We spent the past week in the Smoky Mountains. It was our first family vacation since our babies are now adults. The cabin housed our babies and their babies for the past week. (review on the cabin on another day)
Since becoming a AOR (Adult onset runner) I have always taken my training schedules very serious. Once I decide on a training plan I carefully upload each workout onto my online training calendar. Once the workouts are on the calendar I do not miss them. I may however turn the scheduled tempo or hundreds into a just get the miles in run. -- this is usually the case hence the reason that the 2 hour half marathon monkey is still on my back J But if it has a run scheduled on that day I run. That’s the rule.
So when I made decision that I wanted to complete a 50K and decided on a plan - I mapped it into my calendar. Using a 20 week training plan, it is set to begin on March 25th. No problem ! I knew we would be in the Smokey’s that week, so I got straight to work searching for running routes in Gatlinburg. Added them to my favorites on my laptop, packed up my running necessities and was fully prepared. My base is looking nice no nagging injuries from Goofy I’m set to go. We arrived to the cabin on Sunday, Monday headed out for our first of many trails * more on that another day* no problem first run for the plan isn’t until Tuesday. Woke up with a nagging calf on Tuesday and my bday so decided to do the tourist stuff on Tuesday. Fast forward as all vacations do to today. We are 2 hours into the 8 hour drive and "Mike" my gamin has not been turned on since Saturday March 24th. He never got to find a satellite in the Smokey Mountains. He had to sit perched on the dresser each day as I walked by without even a glance his way.
This morning as everyone was packing their cars up to head home, I asked the question “What lesson did everyone learn while on vacation” * I’m famous for asking conversation starting questions. - My answer was that I have finally learned one of my life lessons. That life is more important than a training plan slotted on my calendar. I chose to take a break from running this week, and delay the start of my training plan by a week. This was not a conscience decision I made, to be honest I never thought about going for a run. That is the first time that has happened since my AOR has set in. For the past 9 years if it was on my calendar I ran. That is the rule. This week when I opened my eyes in the morning I saw daylight not the bathroom light putting on my running shoes so I could get my run in before the rest of the family got up and started our day. It just did not occur to me to set an alarm I have never needed one. And by the time I got up the babies and their babies were up ready for some Grammie snuggles. And I would not trade one of those hugs and snuggles for anything not even the 2 hour monkey. So looks like I will be off a week for my training. I have re-planned out my schedule. Tomorrow I will get in a 10-15 miler and start my 19 week 50K training plan.
Life Lesson - Stop and enjoy my blessings in my life at the moment they come to you - because those fill my heart than a good run any day!! And would rather have the 2 hour monkey on my back then wish I would have snuggled more with my babies.
What life lessons have you learned recently?
No comments:
Post a Comment