Sunday, September 16, 2007

USAF 1/2





This is why we run.....
Bob & I took off for a much needed get away on Friday.
3 hrs later we are in Dayton. The expo was way down on the list of good expo's but certainly not the worst. Did pick up a lite weight long sleeve shirt for 9.99.

Bob was in charge of the hotel this time. He now realises why I'm the travel agent in the family. ... He did get a great deal. $54.00 a night, gets you $54.00 a night, the sheets were clean and the staff very friendly. I will be the travel agent again ;)
We actually got the sleep in, the race didn't start till 8:00.
It was a very usual starting line up, Marathon @ 7:30, relay @ 7:45, 1/2 @ 8:00. Needless to say clock time was not worth anything.
The weather was beautiful!!

It did make me miss our military days. One word RESPECT!! The start area was very loud with chitter chatter until the very first note of the National anthem. EVERY person immediately removed their hats and was silent!! I got choked up! You can't go to a high school game or any other race and have that kind of respect for our country. BIG thanks to all who respect our country!!!

Bob & I lined up did our "secret" hand shake and said our good lucks, see you at the end.

Well we all know I have by no means trained for a 1/2 marathon. The longest run I have done was 7 miles back in July after the onset of my ITS.

So completion was the only thing on my mind. Allowing myself walk breaks because I was not going to have to take the bus back enough if it took me the full 6 hrs to complete, by waking the entire way!

Well...... here's what it looked like:
1 11:01
2 11:09
3 10:05
4 10:45
5 9:57
6 10:35
7 10:01
8 10:00
9 10:48
10 10:42
11 10:23
12 9:25
13 9:51

Yup not only did I finish but a PR to boot!!
So my thinking is .... I should never train again!! Both 1/2 marathons this year, I was unable to train for and pr's at both????

Actually, the lessons I have learned this summer is, if I can run 13.1 miles the fastest I have ever ran 13.1 miles without training..... I am not giving my running everything I got..

So I have set a training goal to run our annual Utica 10K in 54 mins....
After the run, they had a great party, with the great weather we were able to just sit on the ground and relax. The had some great fly overs with my personal favorite the C-5.

Why does beer taste so good after a run??

After an hour or so, we finally made our way to tour the Air Force Museum. Yup still stinky :)

We walked around there and then watch a Imex Fighter Pilot movie.

Then back to the hotel showered, and then devoured some much deserved carbs and protein..... Hamburgers and more beer ;)

It was a great race, this is one I am glad we got to do!

I highly recommend it.

Now I must roll out my sore muscles ( another reason why I should train) then watch the Dolphins kick some Cowboy Butt!!
Have A Great Week!

God Bless


3 comments:

GB said...

I always, always choke back tears too when I hear the National Anthem or any patriotic song, especially America the Beautiful.

I am so proud of you for doing so well on the Half Marathon! You CHAMP! Great, great job and congratulations. Keep running strong. AND you look awesome in your running skirt!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your great 1/2.Have a blessed week!

Nancy said...

Cruiser - AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME !! I loved reading this. Congrats on the PR and running so well. I'm starting to think that you need to train some, but you also need to give the bod a break. Maybe you found a nice balance of mileage and rest for you?

This gives me great hope for my half! :)