Jack & Matt came for a quick overnight last night, and low and behold she talked her dad into taking her out to dinner .... yup you guessed it, she talked him into going to our Mexican place .. AKA Margarita's ... Yup I blew my rule of no acohol the night prior to a race. However it was so great to see them and as always great conversation. At least I managed to get to bed early. Bob was not so lucky he stayed up talking to long.
We were up early 5:00 am and headed the 1 hr drive, Matt & Jack was quite surprised the sun is not up that early :)
Once we got there they had a DJ playing some wake up music, we got our packets and to my surprise, the shirts are red, I've only got a few race shirts that are not white, so that was nice. Really nice logo also, the town is "famous" for making brooms. So it of course has a broom on it.
It is the 30th yr for the run, so they were handing our gifts with your registration as well. I got a really nice duffle bag. bob chose the radio.
Finally we lined up, (I already hate the wait time) I kept saying over & over, "I'm starting nice & slow.. 10:30"
I could tell by my garmin I was NOT starting slow, so much for 10:30 ...(That will come later)
At mile 1 I heard 9:42,9:43,9:45.... WHOA way to fast I said, the lady next to me agreed, and asked what pace I was "suppose to running at. 10:00 her too. We ran together and talked for awhile and I soon realised, she is not going to pass me... could I possibly finally have someone to run with at my pace???
I was so nice!! We got to the 2 mile mark and was chatting away, the split time lady (What are those guys called anyway?) told us our time, we both just chuckled .. still under 10. Of course we told her we're probably your last 2 and she said, I am just impressed you are able talking to each other.
So we went along some more, just kinda talking and settling in. THEN ..... we round the corner of the corn field..... Overpass AKA HILL!! CRAP, Now she'll leave me. Not only have I not trained all summer, but am defiantly not ready for hills... But I noticed her struggling as well. I now learn this is her first 10K!
By this time the leader an older gentleman, (I'm so glad us gals slow down as we age, you men only get faster) So we focused on saying our great jobs to everyone as they passed us, which after a few both of us were just giving them the curtious hand wave, then head nod.
The I saw Bob, WHAT! I never seen Bob this early! I'm going to fast!!! We do our high five and he gave me the push I needed to complete the hill :)
Before I know it we were at the turnaround, which meant the HILL had to be taken again.
I knew I had to slow my butt down as I was not going to make it. But I didn't want her to leave me, so I gradually slowed my pace down, but I knew the rest of the race was going to be a struggle for me.
By mile 4 we didn't do much talking, but then she made the comment it's nice to run with someone. And I was not going to let her leave me, because it was really nice to have someone to run with. so I plunged on. We saw her daughter at about 4.5 and she introduced us, then I really began to struggle, around the lake we went, finally the back side of the lake 5 down, 1 more, she clearly is not struggling as bad as I was, I keep reminding my self you have not trained for this!!
I told her she could go for the last mile if she would like, and she said nope this is doing me just fine for now, I'm going to sprint the last 2 blocks though!
Finally the finish!! I had not sprinting left in me so she took off, I came in right behind her at 1:02:43. Not a PR (1:00, last year at bagel fest) but a completion, and the experience of running with someone!!
We met back up after I poured my water on my head, and found the family. Hugged and wished each other well.
She lives the same distance from the race as I do, about 90 miles in the opposite direction. :(
Come to find out, I got 3rd in my age!! I got a broom!! How funny!

And she got second in her age!!
Bob ended up with a PR of 52:52, but once again you men only get faster so no broom for him.
It was a great race!
Definitely a reminder of why I run :)
And to make the day even better, our softball game got cancelled for tonight, been raining all day ;)
Off to Springfield for all next week for work.
Have a Great Week-end
God Bless
2 comments:
Congrats on placing on your 10k race! Isn't it amazing to just be with family once in a while and enjoy life!!! God bless and have a wonderful weekend.
YAHOO, great work. So glad you had a good race and met a friend. We need those kind of days!!!
Have a great week.
Post a Comment