Friday, September 21, 2007

Are we too old?

That has been the question this week on our softball league.

Lets look at the facts:

1) We have not won a game yet 0-6 -- No folks this is not the Miami Dolphins I'm talking about
2) The more games we have the slower we seem to be getting. Some of the people on the team, can hardly move anymore. (This is the most movement their bodies have seen in quite a awhile)
3) I have discovered that my body can run for 2:17 hours straight on a Saturday but on Tuesday & Thursday nights, I can't sprint to first before a fat guy in the field can run up scoop my ball up and throw it to first.
4) I have also discovered I don't like to bend over much, which is an important factor in winning a softball game. The balls don't come to you while you are in an upright position with your glove at waist level, bending is a require at the waist is a must!
5) Everyone theory of " We are here just to have a good time" seems to fade as we head to a "slaughter" every game (Slaughter is 20 run rule).
6) Our youngest player is 32 the rest of the teams oldest average age is 23
7) People actually still stay out past 9:00 P.M. --

Softball is quite expensive as well and pain full ......

In addition to all the pulled muscles, we have had quite a few injuries:

Tuesday night, Bob was going for a ball while playing second, it popped up and got him in the chin, resulting in 7 stitches, of course before leaving the game to go the ER - we had to wait till all bets we placed on the number of stitches it would take to close the 1/2 inch wide gash. (Bob had the nurse do 7 so he could win) Upon sitting int he ER I begin to think....... We have been married for 23 years, have raised 2 girls who was active in sports, one who I thought for sure would follow my path and have lots of trips to the ER, but we have NEVER made a trip to the ER :) --- (Being the Manley guy he is he suited up for last nights game)

At last nights game, a guy playing center field was going for a pop fly and the ball went straight for his nose. You could hear the "thump" he went down to the ground, a ambulance was called, due to the fact that his nose was clearly broken, and his two front teeth were very hanging on.
So good thing Bob had suited up, because now his injury all of a sudden was healed!

So we are thinking of having a team photo taking in front of the ambulance - Yes THE ambulance remember I live in a Small town we have 1 ambulance :0)

It has been a fun adventure for me though, I of course am the worst player on the team, but get to play every game. (We have to have atleast 3 girls) So I make the best of it, and cheer on the rest of them, and try to remind them of our motto "We're just here to have fun" -- Of course last night my sister reminded me that .... Not everyone lives in my happy world :) .. Just like the old days :)

Now on to running:

I have only managed to get 3 miles in so far this week, those 9:00 start time for our games this week, and a trip to the ER that lasted till 12:30 am have killed my bedtime ritual of 9:00!

Here's what my 3 looked like:

1 10:03
2 9:36
3 9:29

Getting ready to head out for another 3 this morning before work. I have to attend a retreat today.

Have A great Week-End

God Bless

2 comments:

Nancy said...

OH MY - I was cracking up from how you tell it. I was in a league a long time ago and we were always getting injured too, although I don't remember stitches. Is everyone enjoying it or is it time to hang up the cleats? You can still get together and drink beer?! :) Hope everyone is on the mend.

Great splits!!

Unknown said...

Hopefully everyone is still having a good time - we'll see at Tuesday nights game ;0)